The Palace on the Prairie, January 2021
Being from North Carolina you grow up with the Carolina vs Duke basketball game being the most important event each and every year. Unless you went to Carolina or Duke the outcome of these games usually left you feeling good or bad until the next morning, then you just carried on with life. It was not until I started dating an Oklahoma Sooners fan that I began to realize how important Oklahoma Football is to the people of Oklahoma.
Over the past few days, with OU losing Bedlam and Lincoln Riley leaving to go take the coveted USC Head Coach position there have been a few things I have picked up on through dating a Sooners fan.
1. Even though the Sooners lead the Bedlam series 90-19 and have a better All-Time Record Percentage (72.7%-52.4%), More National (7-1) and Conference Championships (50-10), more All-Time Wins (927-620), more Consensus All-Americans (82-20), more Heisman Trophy Winners (7), more NFL Draft Picks (402-167), more Weeks in the AP Poll (874-268), AND Weeks at AP #1 (101-0) the Bedlam Series is very much a rivalry. I don't understand it. To me, its like the Carolina Tar Heels playing the Western Carolina Catamounts every year. But don't tell the Okies that.
2. Okies know their players better than experts. Every Sooners fan I talked to before this season questioned why Spencer Rattler was in the Heisman conversation. When he was benched it did not surprise the first fan of the team. Everybody knew Caleb Williams was the better quarterback.
3. Orange is the New Color of Satan Worshipers. Heaven forbid I try to get my Oklahoma Sooners loving girlfriend to wear anything Chicago Bears. Orange means one of two things to OU fans. Texas or Oklahoma State.
4. OU fans do not mind Oklahoma State winning, as long as it is not the Bedlam Series. Almost like the Carolina-Duke basketball games. As a Carolina fan, I like when Duke is good so that the rivalry stays relevant.
5. OU fans could care less if Texas ever wins a game. Lets pretend you are a Chicago Bears fan. Do you want the Green Bay Packers winning games? Same concept.
It is definitely fun dating a girl that is so passionate about a football team and I am still learning how to support the madness that is an Oklahoma Sooners fan. I still have much to learn about this fandom.